Work With Us >
Correctional Officer Testing
We accept applications
year round for this position. Applicants will receive notice of
test dates when set. An application can be completed using the link
at the bottom of this page.
written examination will be held in 2017 with a date that is yet to
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS TO APPLY:
- Applicant must be 21 years of age at hiring.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or have a GED.
- Applicant must be a United States Citizen or have a Permanent
Resident Card (Greencard)
- Applicant must possess a valid driver's license.
- Applicant must possess a valid FOID - Firearm Owner's
Identification Card. (Can be applied for online at: www.ispfsb.com) (*After receiving
an offer of employment)
- Applicant must live in McHenry County or any bordering Illinois
counties, or Kenosha/Walworth counties in Wisconsin,
within one year of hiring.
DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR EMPLOYMENT:
- Completed Sheriff's Department Application
- Copy of Valid Driver's License
- Copy of Valid FOID - Firearm Owner's Identification Card
- Copy of Birth Certificate / US Citizenship Paperwork /
Permanent Resident Card (Greencard)
- Copy of High School Diploma/GED
- Copy of High School Transcripts
- Copy of College Diploma (If applicable)
- Copy of College Transcripts (If applicable)
- Copy of Military Discharge DD214 papers (if applicable)
In order to be placed on the Corrections Hiring
Eligibility List, an applicant must turn in the above required
paperwork and complete each of the following:
STEP #1 - WRITTEN EXAMINATION:
Three-part test based upon general knowledge. Candidates
must receive a minimum passing score of 70% in each part:
reading comprehension, basic math skills, writing skills, grammar,
spelling, and interpretation. You do not need prior law enforcement
knowledge to pass.
STEP #2 - PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST (POWER
-Based upon the state mandated POWER test standards. Applicants must be
dressed appropriately and wear gym shoes for participating in the
Physical Ability Test.
|Sit and Reach
|Max Bench Press %
|1.5 Mile Run
Those applicants interested in taking the POWER Test before
ours is hosted in lieu of ours, can sign up to take
the test with NIPSTA - The Northeastern Illinois Public Safety
Training Academy. Their website and payment
information can be found at:www.nipsta.org. If you choose to
take the POWER TEST with NIPSTA and pass, you will be issued a
POWER TEST card valid for one year. A copy of this card needs
to be faxed to (815)338-3321 in order to bypass our in-house
STEP #3 - ORAL INTERVIEW:
Interviews are conducted by the Corrections Administration.
After placement on the Corrections Hiring Eligibility List, an
applicant must successfully complete any additional procedures as
may be required by the Sheriff of McHenry County at his/her sole
discretion (including, but not limited to, background
investigation, physical examination, drug screening examination,
and criminal history check). The applicants on the Eligibility List
are not ranked but are listed in alphabetical order. The Sheriff
may hire any person on the Eligibility List as he/she deems
appropriate. The Eligibility List is valid for one year.
DEPARTMENT APPLICATION FORM